Easy Ways To Save Money - www.theeverythingstatus.com - Because no one likes sleepless nights

4 Easy Ways To Save Money

Money may not buy you happiness, but it certainly gives you options. I know that for me, the thing keeping me awake at night is money. So having a little something extra in your bank can really make a difference. Check out these simple yet effective ways of saving money without it being a downer on your life.

The Issue With Saving Money

The thing is, I’m not a saver. It was never something that was actively encouraged as I grew up. And when I got to university I was so consumed with all the freedom it gave me, that I never bothered to look at the bigger picture. I never thought past those three years. I just assumed that everything would work out. Biggest mistake of my life right there.

Our focus was getting into university, so day after day we sat learning about the Kings of old, how to calculate the angle of a triangle and one day we signed our student loans papers, and off we went into the real world with no clue what so ever.

Of course, it isn’t my educators’ fault that I didn’t think about the future. I was a young adult; I should have known better. But I didn’t. And not just with money. With how I approached my degree and work life also. Which is why I found myself, at 27 years old, Googling ‘saving hacks’. And now I’m sharing my favourite ones with you.

Find A Side Hustle

Statistics show that you only have to dedicate around two hours per week to your side hustle to make an extra $1000 per month. So, although your chosen hustle might require money to begin with, picking the right one should be a good source of income. Blogging, of course, is the most popular option but there are heaps of others out there. Does your favourite product have a network selling option? Juice Plus is a product I use every day, and they have a great franchise option. If you speak another language, could you start teaching it? Passionate about grammar? Proof read in your spare time. Fiverr is a great place for advertising your expertise.

Meal Planning

Not only will this help you save money but it will also help keep you healthy. Make it a habit to do a weekly food shop and before each trip, plan all your meals and snacks, make a list of the ingredients and stick to it. Having everything available will stop those random trips to the store or ordering in food.

Find one day a week to do all your lunch prepping. I know taking a packed lunch to work is a bit sucky but so’s not being able to pay for your car repairs. Salads can usually be kept for around three days, and I found that if you use cherry tomatoes rather than sliced, the lettuce/spinach/kale doesn’t go soggy. If you hate the idea of salad five times a week, then check out Pinterest for different meal prep ideas.

I also usually make a batch of soup or mini egg frittatas that I freeze so if I get too lazy to cook I always have options available.

Record Spending Habits

There is nothing more shocking than seeing where your money actually goes so recording every purchase is a great motivator. There are some incredible apps to help coordinate all your finances. My favourite is Account Tracker as it allows you to combine all your accounts giving you the bigger picture of how your finances look.

At the end of each day look over your spends and see if there are any patterns. When and how often do you get coffee and food? Did you raid All Saints whilst nipping to the bank?

Get Creative With Clothes

We all love new clothes, but if you’re going to be a homeowner, some sacrifices will have to be made. This all depends on where you live, but in Dubai we have so many fashion swap shop events. Sure, it doesn’t have the same effect as going to the shop and buying something new, but at least it will give you the opportunity to clear out anything you don’t want and replace it with something different.  Plus, you never know what someone is willing to give away.

And Finally…

Remember why you are doing this. Whether it’s to buy your first place, clear credit card debt, or just have a little cushion of money, remember the end goal. Trust me, it’s worth it.

22 Comments

• Reply Kait Moorhead August 11, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Shopping for you own food and cooking your meals yourself can save you hundreds of dollars a month. I think people are nuts when they buy food from restaurants more than once a week. A waste of money! It adds up very fast.

• Reply Lily A. (Beauty With Lily) August 11, 2017 at 9:38 pm

I really need to get better at recording out spending habits! Since I starting meal planning, I’ve noticed we saved money there…now to control the shopping!

• Reply Katie August 11, 2017 at 9:55 pm

These are great tips! Doing a no-shopping month is so helpful for me to save money!

xoxo,
    Katie
    chicincarolina.blogspot.com

• Reply Rachel August 12, 2017 at 1:18 am

these are awesome tips! and I totally do that head bob thing the gif is doing for work – haha i died!

• Reply Amanda Faber August 12, 2017 at 2:16 am

Meal planning is huge for saving money. I started making my lunches and I’m shocked at how healthy I feel and I have extra money in my pocket

• Reply Kristen August 12, 2017 at 5:29 am

These are all such great tips! I really need to start using a spending tracker to see where I’m spending my money the most and start finding ways to to better spend my money! I’ll definitely put these tips to use 🙂

Kristen | http://www.sophisticatedgal.com

• Reply Ashley Horstmeier August 12, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Great tips! It’s crazy to see when you actually do the math and see where your money goes. The numbers always surprise you.

• Reply Ursula August 12, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Great post. I need to start saving money NOW!

• Reply diaryofasinglemum August 12, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Totally agree on the meal planning, for work lunches. $10 a day x 5 =$50 pw include a $4 beverage $20pw. Total $70 pw x 2 months = rtn flights + change

• Reply Deryn | Running on Real Food August 12, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Thanks for the tips, I could definitely be better at tracking my spending and using a budget. The rest I already do!

• Reply Ritosha August 12, 2017 at 7:40 pm

This is useful 🙂 I do record my spendings but sometimes it doesn’t help

• Reply Sandy Dobbs August 12, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Good ideas and reminders! Have to check out the Spending Tracker.

• Reply Rebecca Westlake August 12, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Meal planning is HUGE for me! It literally saves me hundreds of dollars. – http://www.instagram.com/contentbarista & http://www.contentbarista.ca

• Reply Alix Maza August 13, 2017 at 1:25 am

The end goal is the most important thing to me! I always take time to refocus on my original end goal. 🙂

• Reply Jamie August 13, 2017 at 2:03 am

Great tips! My husband and I were just talking about ways to reduce our expenses as we pay down some debt. I told him the #1 thing we need to do is actually track our spending.

• Reply Sarah August 13, 2017 at 2:51 pm

I love how you wrote this article! It was so fun reading it 😛 But yeah, I’m quite bad at saving too. My colleague, who just came in the company few months back as opposed to me being here for more than a year already, has already saved more from her salary than I did! haha. Great tips though! Really helpful 🙂

• Reply Flossie August 13, 2017 at 3:36 pm

This is a really great post, and I love your honest, down-to-earth perspective! You’re spot-on on all your points. I esp. agree w/#4 – for my everyday casual wear, I try to NEVER pay full price (getting things on sale, on clearance, with coupons, and/or from thrift stores), and for my dressier work/professional clothes, I usually shop designer secondhand shops.Same goes for my kids – the things I buy new, I do on sale/clearance/with coupons (and then it’s only for a few things like long-sleeve swim shirts); otherwise, I shop almost exclusively for them at children’s resale events.

• Reply Morgan August 14, 2017 at 1:59 am

Meal planning – and just eating at home – is such an overlooked money saver!!

• Reply Kait Around The Kingdom August 15, 2017 at 9:59 am

I’m currently trying to get better about spending! It can be tough to make the change for sure

• Reply Kayla Rivoli (@kaylavblogs) August 15, 2017 at 5:59 pm

I really need to get better at tracking my spending! I really want to do lots of meal planning/crock pot meals when I start grad school. Eating out is so costly!

Kayla | kaylablogs.com

• Reply Danielle Randall // Glam R Me August 15, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Lol I am not the best with saving but planning and recording my spending has definitely helped

-Danielle

• Reply My Little Box of Tricks August 16, 2017 at 7:10 pm

I think that remembering why is definitely the best way to stay motivated when it comes to saving money. It is very easy to get sidetracked by small purchases that add up, but reminding yourself of your larger goal is crucial!

• What do you think?