Why Being A Female Traveler Isn't A Big Deal - www.theeverythingstatus.com - Most of us are solo travellers so why all the fuss

Why Being A Female Solo Traveller Isn’t A Big Deal

We travel. It’s what we do. It’s how we learn long after we leave the classroom. It’s what we do when we need time off. And for us Brits, it’s what we do when we need more than two days of sun. But why is there still such a stigma around being a solo traveller, especially when that person is a female?

Being A Female Solo Traveller

Here’s the thing. Back in the day when our lives weren’t published on social media, the whole travel thing was a very personal experience. Nothing was exposed, so no one really knew what to expect. Now, we have review websites, blogs and Instagram to tell us every gritty detail, every bad experience, every #wanderlust moment.

So, yes, back in the day going out into the big bad world by yourself was a scary thought, and so the “female solo traveller” label became a trophy almost. How many us growing up would think “wow, you’re so awesome and brave” when someone older told us about backpacking across Australia? It became something to idolise. But honestly, has been a female solo traveller ever gotten you anything? Has it made a decision better? All the title does is make you, the traveller, think twice about certain things. Should I visit that place? Maybe a women only hostel is better. Or is a hotel more secure? If you focus on the fact you’re a woman and travelling alone, your whole trip will become a series of angst and insecurities.

I feel like it’s more of a marketing term these days than anything else.

You’re Simply Just A Traveller

My friends and I are wayfarers. We go away by ourselves all the time. One of us spent a year in Salzburg working as a nanny, another at an orphanage in India. Between us, we’ve travelled to Bali, Jordan, all of Europe and some of South America on solo adventures. We’ve taken planes, night trains and coaches all over the world. The fact that we were by ourselves didn’t even impact on our trips. It just meant we needed to pack a selfie stick.

Obviously, there are those places that can be intimidating. In Cuba and Marrakesh, for example, every male will say hello to you, but that’s as far as it will go. Honestly speaking, it’s more annoying than concerning. If you want to get really realistic, the whole world is a dangerous place now for both men and women. So just take that trip you’ve been meaning to take.

Baby Steps

Of course, I’m nearly thirty years old, and I travel for a living, so I have confidence in what I’m saying. For those who are much younger and planning your first trip by yourself, there’s going to be that element of uncertainty so start with the ‘safer’ places if you prefer. The Blonde Abroad is an amazing blog with plenty advice for all categories of travellers. Or if you are ready to take the plunge, grab some inspiration here. Just remember to research the local customs and religious holidays before visiting.

13 Comments

• Reply prasna July 20, 2017 at 3:56 pm

how i wish i was you! Girls like you inspire me, who has not stayed away from home for more than a week

• Reply Karina July 20, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Such a great post! I never travelled by myself (except for studying abroad) and I would be really scared of getting lost or something. your travels sound amazing!

• Reply Jessica Cantoni July 20, 2017 at 6:01 pm

I plan to travel alone and have done it the past, so thanks for this 🙂 x

• Reply Artsy Style Traveler July 20, 2017 at 6:17 pm

The write up is really well written!

• Reply Hayley July 21, 2017 at 11:31 am

• Reply Farah July 20, 2017 at 10:25 pm

I’ve always been hesitant of traveling alone but you make it seem like a wonderful experience. I think I may actually try it!

• Reply Hayley July 21, 2017 at 11:30 am

You should. Plus, if you stay in a hostel you’ll always meet someone to explore with xx

• Reply Charlene Bullard - FaithtoRaiseNate.com July 20, 2017 at 11:16 pm

I’ve been wanting to travel solo for a while. I need to just do it and stop being fearful.

• Reply Hayley July 21, 2017 at 11:27 am

Exactly! And like I said, start off small if you need to then when you feel comfortable go for the places like India and Colombia xx

• Reply Francesca July 23, 2017 at 6:29 pm

You are completely right. I started to travel alone two years ago when a friend of mine changed her mind about a trip we planned together only at the last minute, and I went alone ❤️

• Reply Sreya Gupta July 24, 2017 at 8:05 pm

This is great! I mean GREAT! It makes me want to pack my bag and escape from my daily life.

• Reply jenniferlynncallahan July 28, 2017 at 9:17 pm

So inspired by this! I need to solo travel more.

• Reply Cynthia July 28, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Such a great mindset to have, thanks for sharing your perspective. Being an avid traveller but never having travelled alone, I feel like I’d feel super intimidated and definitely anxious to travel by myself to certain countries/cities, because of my gender. As much as I would love to embrace that mindset that you have, I don’t think I’d be able to. But what you have is inspirational for sure!

• What do you think?