7 Simple Ways To Wellness - www.hayleyjacquelne.com - Time to take back some me time

7 Simple Ways To Wellness

Wellness is one of those things we all seem to talk about these days. We’ve gone through such a long period of time where all our focus was on work and what’s going on in the digital world that somewhere along we way, we forgot about ourselves and the real world.

It wasn’t until after reading Arianna Huffington’s Thrive that I began to think about the whole concept of wellness and the small changes we can make to bring balance to our lives. Talise nutritionist, Sinead Scott lays out seven simple ways to improve your wellness.

Walk

Walking is a nonevasive exercise that reduces stress levels and helps keep you healthy. Ideally, the best walk would be one that is barefoot and in the sand to hit all those reflexology points. Great for us Dubai-ians in the winter. Not so great in the summer.

Drink Water

At least 2 liters a day. More if you’re exercising, flying or working outside.  And opt for water that is low in sodium.

Reduce Plastics

I wrote about the whole going organic and reducing toxins recently, and some people wrote really interesting comments (read here) about where the limit is and how far to take it. Making small changes here and there is better than nothing and starting with reducing plastics is the easiest place to start.

Plastics are known to tamper with hormone levels and affect the thyroid. How many of you drink water from a bottle? Have you ever drank from a warm plastic bottle? Those are even worse apparently as the toxins are released into the water. After buying your water, Sinead recommends filtering it and storing it in glass or stainless steel bottles.

Taking your own fabric bags to the supermarket (we call them bags for life back in the UK) is another great way to reduce the plastic in your life, as well as helping the environment.

Do A Good Deed

Here’s a great article listing 52 good deed ideas. Click here to read them.

Have A Family Dinner

Your family or your friends are your main source of support. They are the ones you turn to when in need, so take the time to spend time with them away from social media distractions.

The second fold to this is that having dinner with young ones present teaches them healthy habits. Children tend to copy what grown-up do so eating lots of vegetables will encourage them to do the same.

Sleep

I’m not going to tell you to get your 8 hours because not everybody needs that. The focus here is quality. 5 hours of high-quality sleep is much more beneficial than 8 hours of tossing and turning.

Before going to bed, avoid any TV or books as it stimulates the brain. Instead, opt for some meditation. Headspace is a great app for getting you into meditating, but if it’s really not your thing then taking a relaxing bath before bed is just as effective.

Leaving your phone on the other side of the room can also boost the quality of your sleep. The electromagnetic waves from your phone pump out radiation causing disruption to your sleep preventing your body from repairing itself properly. Having your phone next to your bed also means you’re more than likely to wake up and check it through the night. Having it on the other side of the room removes that temptation.

Eat Organic

Yes, I feel a little bit like a broken record with this organic stuff, but it really does make a difference. Eating processed meals or foods high in chemicals can mess with your hormones and digestive system. So buy organic where ever possible.

Also, buying from and supporting local organic farmers is a good deed!

14 Comments

• Reply Whitney June 13, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Love this!! I need to get better about drinking more water.

• Reply Syri Gerstner June 13, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Thank you for sharing these simple and easy tips. I usually get so overwhelmed with the what I should do things that I give up and remain stagnant in my bad habits. This list seems much more attainable and I will be putting my phone on the other side of the room this evening.

• Reply Milky June 13, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Wonderful advice! I am following most of this stuff already, but there is always room for improvement. 🙂

• Reply leslieleon June 13, 2017 at 9:47 pm

I loved your list! Such a helpful piece on small things we can do for ourselves

• Reply neverskipbrunch June 13, 2017 at 10:34 pm

These sound simple at first glance, but I can definitely be better at doing each of these.

XO, Cara

• Reply Kathleen June 13, 2017 at 10:42 pm

These are some great tips! I especially love family dinners because that is something we always did when I grew up and now I’m working on it with my own family! I think it’s so important 🙂

• Reply collegeceliackc June 13, 2017 at 10:49 pm

I love that you included “do a good deed.” It’s amazing how much helping others can actually help us too!

• Reply neeliev June 14, 2017 at 1:01 am

Loved this post! Such simple things mostly, but a great reminder on how to feel better, thanks for sharing!

• Reply laceedoeslife June 14, 2017 at 4:13 am

I knew that I had heard about warm plastic bottles releasing chemicals into the water. In fact, one time I drank some from a warm bottle and could taste the chemicals. Yuck!!

• Reply Courtney Gran June 14, 2017 at 5:09 am

Excellent post! I really like all of these tips and have found that they work well in my life as well. There are a couple I haven’t tried before, so I’ll try implementing those in my life as well.

• Reply Lisa June 14, 2017 at 7:33 am

Sometimes we overlook the simplest things that make a big impact on our wellness like going for a walk and getting the right amount of sleep. This is a good reminder and I love how you mention do a good deed and have a family dinner, seems like these items are missed in many wellness posts.

• Reply samanthamcnair07 June 14, 2017 at 3:13 pm

I love that you included doing a good deed on this list! It certainly helps lift the spirit!

• Reply wonderstrucklife June 15, 2017 at 1:42 am

Love these tips! A couple are really different from what you normally here. Love the family dinner one. My little girl actually ate mixed greens off my plate yesterday because she wanted to be like mommy. So proud!

• Reply Mag Keza June 15, 2017 at 3:49 am

I enjoy reading this, I need to improve my wellness especially the sleeping part and family.

• What do you think?